The Public Staff is an independent agency created in 1977 by legislation in General Statute 62-15 to review, investigate, and make appropriate recommendations to the North Carolina Utilities Commission with respect to the reasonableness of rates charged and adequacy of service provided by any public utility and with respect to the consistency with the public policy of assuring an energy supply adequate to protect the public health and safety. The Public Staff intervenes on behalf of the using and consuming public in all Commission proceedings affecting rates or service. The Public Staff also:
- Petitions the Commission to initiate proceedings when in the public interest;
- Intervenes in all certificate applications and assist the Commission in analysis;
- Makes recommendations to the Commission with respect to standards, regulations, or practices;
- Investigates formal and informal complaints affecting the using and consuming public;
- Intervenes in all proceedings for franchise transfers, mergers, and consolidations of public utilities; and,
- Reviews, investigates, and recommends action to the Commission regarding affiliate contracts.
- To provide customers with effective, independent representation based on technical and professional expertise on all issues before the North Carolina Utilities Commission.
- To fairly and efficiently exercise formal and informal audit and advocacy functions to ensure safe and reliable utility service at reasonable rates.
- To ensure that customer interests are represented in the development and application of public policy by serving as a resource to the North Carolina Utilities Commission, government agencies, Governor’s Office and the North Carolina General Assembly.
- To help resolve conflicts between utilities and their customers through investigation, mediation, and education.
|Consumer Services||(919) 733-9277 or Toll-Free (866) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Executive Director||(919) email@example.com|
|Economic Research||(919) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Natural Gas||(919) email@example.com|
Christopher J. Ayers
Christopher J. Ayers has served as Executive Director of the North Carolina Utilities Commission Public Staff since July 1, 2013.
The Public Staff is located on the fifth floor of the Dobbs Building on North Salisbury Street. Office hours are 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, except for state holidays.
The Dobbs Building is located at the north end of the Downtown State Government Complex on North Salisbury Street. Public access is via the Dobbs Building Lobby Entrance on the east side of the building facing the grassy mall area. All visitors are required to check in at the Dobbs Building Security Desk located at this entrance.
For additional parking information and a map of downtown, please go to the Department of Administration Visitor Parking website. The closest visitor lot to the Dobbs Building is Visitor Lot #2.