Consumer Services Division

Contact us with Utility Company Complaints Toll-free at 866-380-9816 or 919-733-9277

You can also submit a complaint online by clicking Submit a Complaint

Complaints about municipal utility systems (Town of... City of... or County), please contact your local government (Mayor, City Manager or District Representative) or State Legislature.

Complaints about broadband, internet providers, bundled package plans, cable or satellite television providers, wireless phone providers, or propane providers can be addressed to the NC Attorney General's Office by dialing 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (1-877-566-7226) or 919-716-6000. You can also email your complaint to the NC Attorney General's office by emailing

Complaints about electric membership corporations or telephone membership corporations should be addressed to the Rural Electrification Authority at 919-814-4696.

The Consumer Services Division can be reached Toll-Free at 866-380-9816, locally at 919-733-9277 or by emailing

Are you planning a project that requires digging?  If so, please contact "North Carolina 811" at 800-632-4949 or Dial 811 before starting your project.  This helps eliminate and reduce the disruption of critical utilities such as fiber optic systems, gas, water and electrical systems.  You can also visit their website at

How We Can Help Utility Consumers

We can investigate your complaints against utility companies and help you to resolve them. 

Complaints may involve payment arrangements, billing disputes, deposits, service quality, unauthorized changes in communication services (such as "slamming), unauthorized charges for communications services (called "cramming"), and more.

If you are being threatened with disconnection, we can help with that too.

We cannot assist with ...

We don't have any jurisdiction over municipal utility systems, broadband and internet providers, cable or satellite television providers, or wireless phone providers or propane. Complaints about them can be addressed to the NC Attorney General's Office, or by dialing 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (1-877-566-7226) or 919-716-6000. You can also email your complaint to the NC Attorney General's office by emailing

We also do not have jurisdiction over electric membership corporations or telephone membership corporations. These complaints should be addressed to the Rural Electrification Authority at 919-814-4696

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) sign-ups open December 1, 2021

LIEAP is a federally-funded program that provides for a one-time vendor payment to help eligible households pay their heating bills.  Households including a person aged 60 or older or disabled persons receiving services through the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services are eligible to sign up for assistance from Dec. 1 – 31. All other households may apply from Jan. 1 – March 31 or until funds are exhausted.

Households that meet the following criteria may be eligible:

  • Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria.
  • Meet an income test.
  • Have reserves at or below $2,250.
  • Be responsible for its heating costs.

For more information, click here:

To apply for assistance, click here

LIEAP is administered by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) and is not associated with the Public Staff or the Utilities Commission.  If you have questions concerning LIEAP, please contact your local social services agency or the NC Division of Social Services.

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

LIHWAP is a new federally funded program that provides emergency assistance to low-income households that pay a high proportion of household income for drinking water and water services.  This program is still being developed and for more information click here:

Crisis Intervention Program (CIP)

The Crisis Intervention Program is a Federally funded program that assists individuals and families who are experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis.  For more information, click here:

Housing Opportunities and Prevention of Evictions Program (HOPE)

HOPE provides rent and utility assistance to low-income renters that are experiencing financial hardship due to the economic impacts of COVID-19.  For more information, click here:

Frequently Asked Questions about Complaints